The Schenectady County Legislature will hold a public hearing at 7:00 p.m. on July 5, 2023 to discuss the proposed sale of the Duanesburg YMCA, located at 221 Victoria Drive in Delanson, to Christopher and Lauren Davis. The meeting will be held in the Legislative Chamber at the County Office Building, which is located at 620 State Street in the City of Schenectady.
The County Legislature approved the purchase of the property from the Capital District YMCA in 2022. If the agreement is approved, the county would enter into a public-private partnership with the Davis’, who currently operate a fitness facility in Schoharie County. The partnership includes the sale of the property to the Davis’s and a community benefits provision that guarantees specific public benefits for a period of 10 years.
“Oftentimes our rural communities don’t have the resources that their suburban or urban counterparts do,” said Anthony Jasenski, Chair of the Schenectady County Legislature. “We would like to thank Chris and Lauren Davis for working with us to make this project a reality. Restoring this vital recreational asset will improve the quality of life for area residents while providing a guaranteed public benefit for the next ten years.”
“The Duanesburg Y was a community hub that served over 2,000 members before it closed during the pandemic,” said Schenectady County Legislator Holly Vellano. “This agreement will help make the site a community asset once again while providing the Duanesburg Central School District with access to the gym and pool and allowing the county to use the kitchen as a senior meal site.”
“As both business owners and active community members we understand the significance of this building,” said Chris and Lauren Davis of 4everbods Fitness. “We would like to thank Schenectady County for allowing us to be part of this project to revive the recreational center and bring its much needed services back to the community.”
Community Benefits Provision
The proposed agreement between Schenectady County and the Davis’ includes a Community Benefits Provision that guarantees the following benefits for a period of 10 years:
- Lease or license to the Duanesburg Central School District, reasonable access to the gymnasium and swimming pool at a value of up to $20,000 per year;
- Provide thirty free gym memberships or the equivalent in programming benefits each year to Duanesburg youth with lower incomes as recommended by the Duanesburg Central School District;
- Allow free access to the swimming pool to Schenectady County and the Schenectady County Boys and Girls Club for the purpose of conducting lifeguard training up to four times per year;
- Make the kitchen and dining areas available at no cost to Schenectady County for the purpose of hosting a senior meal site; and
- Use of the facility as a back-up site for Schalmont High School for emergency purposed in conjunction with Schenectady County and the American Red Cross.
The 26,276 square food Duanesburg YMCA building was originally built in 2009 and is located on 28.61 acres in the Village of Delanson. It currently contains a 25-yard 5-lane lap pool, a large gymnasium with retractable seating for 350 people, a wellness center, an aerobics/spin room space, a large community area space with attached full commercial kitchen, outdoor basketball and pickle ball courts, and an outdoor playground with playground equipment. The Duanesburg YMCA was closed in 2020 due to the pandemic, with the closure becoming permanent in 2022.