Skip to main content

Certificate of Residency

Schenectady County, Department of Finance, Certificate of Residency Application Procedure

Schenectady County Community College Students

You must obtain your Certificate of Residency directly from:

Schenectady County Community College, Student Business Office, Elston Hall.

The Schenectady County Finance Department does not issue Certificates to Schenectady County Community College students.  If you have any questions, please call the College at 518-381-1346 or 518-381-1420.


For all other community colleges in New York State, in accordance with New York State Education Law, Section 6301 each full-time and part-time student residing in New York State must file a Certificate of Residence.  The County of Legal Residence for a New York State resident attending a community college contributes to the College a portion of the College’s cost for providing services to the student.  The basis for assessing counties for this money is the Certificate of Residence.

A resident of New York is one who has maintained legal residence in the state for one year and in the county for six months immediately preceding the first day of classes.

To qualify for in-state tuition, a student must submit a Certificate of Residence.  Failure to submit a Certificate of Residence will result in the student being billed the out-of-state tuition rate.

Applications cannot be submitted sooner than 60 days before classes start and must be obtained within 30 days of classes beginning.

Certificates of Residence are processed Monday through Friday from 8:30 to 4:30 (9:00 to 4:00 during July and August) by the Schenectady County Finance Department in the order in which they are received and may take up to 2 business days to respond.




Powered by Spatial Data Logic’s SDL Online

Accounts are required.  A valid email address will be needed to sign up.  You can follow your application’s progress within your account and all correspondence will go through your email address/ account.

Create an Account (Primary Town is Schenectady County) and complete the steps to verify your account.

Once your account is created, click on requests and choose the Certificate of Residency Application.

Complete all required fields and upload the required proof items where appropriate.

The following items must be uploaded during the application process prior to submission:

  1. Applicants/students asking for a 1st time certificate will need to provide the following separate items:
    1. Applicant/student photo identification (driver’s license, State issued ID, Passport, Student ID)
    2. Proof of where the applicant/student lived one year ago from the date on the application;
    3. Proof of where the applicant/student lived six months ago from the date on the application;
    4. Proof of where the applicant/student lives within the last 30 days;


  1. If the applicant/student has already had a Certificate with Schenectady County:
    1. Applicant/student photo identification (driver’s license, State issued ID, Passport, Student ID)
    2. Proof of where the applicant/student lived within the last 30 days

Electronically sign the application and submit the form.

Click here to access the Online Certificate Application

Once the County receives the completed application along with all the required uploaded proof, we will process and issue the Certificate from the SDL Portal for the student to provide to the College.


Acceptable types of Proof (all proof must show name, address and time frame; PO Boxes are not acceptable):

  • Utility bills
  • Bank statements
  • Official lease agreements
  • Postmarked envelopes
  • Medical/dental bills
  • Car insurance cards or policies
  • Cell phone bills
  • Pay stubs
  • Previous year’s W2
  • Online orders (shipping details)
  • School bill with mailing address


For minors/high school students that don’t receive the above items, acceptable items are:

  • Report cards showing Parent/Guardian of
  • High School Transcripts
  • Previous year’s tax returns that list minor as a dependent at the parent/guardian’s address


Note: If you are not a US Citizen, you must provide proof of status in country.  Types of proof include:

  • Permanent Resident Card
  • VISA
  • I-94 card